path: root/line-log.h
AgeCommit message (Collapse)Author
2019-05-05*.[ch]: remove extern from function declarations using spatchDenton Liu
There has been a push to remove extern from function declarations. Remove some instances of "extern" for function declarations which are caught by Coccinelle. Note that Coccinelle has some difficulty with processing functions with `__attribute__` or varargs so some `extern` declarations are left behind to be dealt with in a future patch. This was the Coccinelle patch used: @@ type T; identifier f; @@ - extern T f(...); and it was run with: $ git ls-files \*.{c,h} | grep -v ^compat/ | xargs spatch --sp-file contrib/coccinelle/noextern.cocci --in-place Files under `compat/` are intentionally excluded as some are directly copied from external sources and we should avoid churning them as much as possible. Signed-off-by: Denton Liu <> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <>
2017-09-22ALLOC_GROW: avoid -Wsign-compare warningsRamsay Jones
Signed-off-by: Ramsay Jones <> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <>
2015-01-15line-log.c: make line_log_data_init() staticJunio C Hamano
No external callers exist. Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <>
2013-08-06range-set: publish API for re-use by git-blame -LEric Sunshine
git-blame is slated to accept multiple -L ranges. git-log already accepts multiple -L's but its implementation of range-set, which organizes and normalizes -L ranges, is private. Publish the small subset of range-set API which is needed for git-blame multiple -L support. Signed-off-by: Eric Sunshine <> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <>
2013-04-12log -L: store the path instead of a diff_filespecThomas Rast
line_log_data has held a diff_filespec* since the very early versions of the code. However, the only place in the code where we actually need the full filespec is parse_range_arg(); in all other cases, we are only interested in the path, so there is hardly a reason to store a filespec. Even worse, it causes a lot of redundant ->spec->path pointer dereferencing. And *even* worse, it caused the following bug. If you merge a rename with a modification to the old filename, like so: * Merge | \ | * Modify foo | | * | Rename foo->bar | / * Create foo we internally -- in process_ranges_merge_commit() -- scan all parents. We are mainly looking for one that doesn't have any modifications, so that we can assign all the blame to it and simplify away the merge. In doing so, we run the normal machinery on all parents in a loop. For each parent, we prepare a "working set" line_log_data by making a copy with line_log_data_copy(), which does *not* make a copy of the spec. Now suppose the rename is the first parent. The diff machinery tells us that the filepair is ('foo', 'bar'). We duly update the path we are interested in: rg->spec->path = xstrdup(pair->one->path); But that 'struct spec' is shared between the output line_log_data and the original input line_log_data. So we just wrecked the state of process_ranges_merge_commit(). When we get around to the second parent, the ranges tell us we are interested in a file 'foo' while the commits touch 'bar'. So most of this patch is just s/->spec->path/->path/ and associated management changes. This implicitly fixes the bug because we removed the shared parts between input and output of line_log_data_copy(); it is now safe to overwrite the path in the copy. There's one only somewhat related change: the comment in process_all_files() explains the reasoning behind using 'range' there. That bit of half-correct code had me sidetracked for a while. Signed-off-by: Thomas Rast <> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <>
2013-03-28Implement line-history search (git log -L)Thomas Rast
This is a rewrite of much of Bo's work, mainly in an effort to split it into smaller, easier to understand routines. The algorithm is built around the struct range_set, which encodes a series of line ranges as intervals [a,b). This is used in two contexts: * A set of lines we are tracking (which will change as we dig through history). * To encode diffs, as pairs of ranges. The main routine is range_set_map_across_diff(). It processes the diff between a commit C and some parent P. It determines which diff hunks are relevant to the ranges tracked in C, and computes the new ranges for P. The algorithm is then simply to process history in topological order from newest to oldest, computing ranges and (partial) diffs. At branch points, we need to merge the ranges we are watching. We will find that many commits do not affect the chosen ranges, and mark them TREESAME (in addition to those already filtered by pathspec limiting). Another pass of history simplification then gets rid of such commits. This is wired as an extra filtering pass in the log machinery. This currently only reduces code duplication, but should allow for other simplifications and options to be used. Finally, we hook a diff printer into the output chain. Ideally we would wire directly into the diff logic, to optionally use features like word diff. However, that will require some major reworking of the diff chain, so we completely replace the output with our own diff for now. As this was a GSoC project, and has quite some history by now, many people have helped. In no particular order, thanks go to Jakub Narebski <> Jens Lehmann <> Jonathan Nieder <> Junio C Hamano <> Ramsay Jones <> Will Palmer <> Apologies to everyone I forgot. Signed-off-by: Bo Yang <> Signed-off-by: Thomas Rast <> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <>